A light meter is a very important part of an indoor garden. Not only will it tell you how much light is in the room, it will help you to determine if your plants are receiving enough light. This makes it a very essential part of indoor gardening.
Of course, you cannot afford to purchase a light meter that is unreliable or not sensitive enough to give you an accurate reading. So, you need to be able to figure out which light meter is good enough for your indoor garden. Not sure how to do this?
This article has some of the best light meters that are available on the market today. No matter what your budget is or why you need a light meter, we are sure that there is a product here to meet your needs.
If you are using a grow tent for your indoor garden to regulate the environment, a PAR meter is in my opinion a required too. The new LED grow lights are much brighter than before so be sure you are using eye protection when you are in your grow room.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Light Meter for Indoor Gardens 2021
- 1.1 1. Hydrofarm LG17010 Digital Light Meter
- 1.2 2. Sun System PAR Meter with Remote Sensor
- 1.3 3. Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter with Micromol Sensor
- 1.4 4. Professional Digital Light Meter LX821
Best Light Meter for Indoor Gardens 2021
|Top Top Top||Sun System PAR Meter w/ Remote Sensor||Prime||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top Top||Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter Micromol Sensor||Prime||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||HYDROFARM LG17010 Digital Hand-Held Sunlight Light Meters (Footcandles) w/Case,2||Prime||Check Lowest Price|
|Top Top Top||Professional Digital Light Meter LX821 for Greenhouse, Hydroponics, Gardening, Architecture, Lighting Audits||Prime||Check Lowest Price|
1. Hydrofarm LG17010 Digital Light Meter
- Measures grow lights or sunlight output up to 40,000 footcandles
- 3 scales for precise readings with convenient hand-held remote sensor
- Lifetime silicon cell (Lithium 3V CR2032)
Working with a small budget? The Hydrofarm LG17010 Digital light meter may be the one that appeals to you. It is very inexpensive and it has a lot of features that you can find on more expensive light meters.
It can measure sunlight as well as various types of grow lights, and it has 3 scales so it can provide a more precise reading. Unlike many light meters that can only measure a maximum of 20,000FC, this device can measure up to 40,000FC.
Since it weighs less than 5 oz., you won’t have to worry about holding a very heavy device in your hand either. Plus, the lithium batteries are already included in the package and should last for a long time.
· Can measure 40,000 foot candles
· Produces precise readings using 3 scales
· Measures sunlight or grow lights
· Hand-held remote sensor
· Includes lithium battery
· Comes with a booklet that contains lighting recommendations
· Low battery indicator
· Easy to use
· Weighs less than 5 oz.
· Measures 3.3” X 2.1” X 6”
Although the Hydrofarm LG17010 Digital light meter is inexpensive, you don’t have to worry about it not functioning properly. The battery should have a very long life and it is designed to produce very precise readings.
There is only one drawback to this product—you cannot get it wet. Since it is not waterproof, it may get damaged by water.
2. Sun System PAR Meter with Remote Sensor
- Meter with remote sensor measures photo synthetically active radiation (PAR)
- Simple and easy to use. Compact size with remote sensor
- Made in China
The Sun System PAR Meter is one of the most expensive light meters on the market today but it also ranks very high as one of the most accurate and it offers very good value for your money.
Whether you have an indoor garden that gets its light from the sun, or you are using other types of lighting, this meter can accurately detect the amount of light that your plants are receiving.
Although it is not waterproof, it gives very accurate readings regardless of the type of light that it is detecting. Another great thing about this light meter is that it is very easy to use.
Even if you haven’t used a light meter before, you won’t have a problem becoming familiar with this one.
· Remote sensor
· Measures PAR (photo synthetically active radiation)
· Easy to use
· Compact design
· Weighs less than 8 oz.
· Dimensions: 2.4” X 4.4” x 6.8”
If you feel like splurging on a light meter, or you just want to make sure that you are getting one that is of a very high quality, you should consider the Sun System PAR Meter. It is very easy to use and at less than 8 oz., it won’t feel very heavy in your hand.
3. Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter with Micromol Sensor
- Data logging capability using standard mini-USB cable and proprietary datalogging software available at Hydrofarm
- Low power consumption with built-in low Battery power Indication
- Constant linear response curve (as opposed to other meters’ Gaussian response) yields higher accuracy independent of wavelength – perfect for measuring LED light output
If you want to purchase a light meter that has data logging capabilities, you may be interested in the Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter with Micromol Sensor. Not only does it measure light within a wide range of wavelengths, but it calibrates automatically to measure different types of light.
Whether your indoor garden uses sunlight or you have some other form of lighting, this light meter may be perfect for you. There is even a low-battery indicator so you can know when the battery is running low. How much more perfect can a light meter get?
· Low power consumption
· Low-battery indicator
· Very accurate readings
· Measures LED light output
· Data logging abilities via mini USB cable and software from hydrofarm.com
· Measures up to 10,000mol
· Weighs less than 8 oz.
· Dimensions: 6.7” X 4.4” X 2.4”
It is not very surprising that if you want to purchase a light meter that has data-logging abilities, you have to spend a little more. The Hydrofarm LGBQM Quantum PAR Meter with Micromol Sensor seems to be well worth the price.
With software from the official website and a mini USB cable, you should be able to log all the data that this digital light meter records. Tracking the amount of light that your plants receive will be much easier when you use this device. Plus, you can rest assured that all the readings you get will be very accurate.
4. Professional Digital Light Meter LX821
Professional Digital Light Meter LX821 for Greenhouse, Hydroponics, Gardening, Architecture, Lighting Audits
- Digital electronic light meter for sun light, fluorescent light and grow lights, such as metal halide lamps
- Great light meter for hydroponics and greenhouse use, growers make sure all plants receive the right amount of light. Measures in Lux and Footcandle, 4 ranges, up to 200,000 lux or 20,000 FC
- More precise than most other light meters: Accuracy ±3% Repeatability: ±2%
The Digital Light Meter LX821 is a very good light meter. It is more precise than many light meters on the market today and you can trust it to provide very accurate readings, no matter what type of light you are measuring.
It is a great tool for using in indoor gardens, hydroponics and greenhouses. If you want to get a very accurate reading of the amount of light that your plants receive, there is no better device to use. This light meter can measure up to 20,000FC and has 4 ranges.
Although it doesn’t seem to have a battery level indicator, it comes with a standard 9V battery that should last for a very long time before it needs replacement.
· Easy to use
· Measures up to 20,000 foot candles
· ±3% accuracy
· ±2% repeatability
· Requires standard 9V battery (included)
· Can be used to measure sunlight or other types of artificial light
· Weighs 0.3 lbs.
· Measures 3.3” X 2.1” X 6”
The LX821 is one of the best light meters that you can get your hands on. When it comes to value, functionality and features, you will love what this device has to offer.
Although this particular model is not waterproof, you will love the very high accuracy that it offers for every reading that it takes.
The importance of a light meter in indoor gardening cannot be questioned. It is very helpful in determining how much light your plants receive and will help you to ensure that your plants do not get too much or too little light.
These four products will be very helpful in assisting gardeners to grow the perfect plants every time. Cannabis is one of the plants that is very sensitive to light intensity, so if you are growing it, make sure that you get a light meter that can accurately record the amount of light it receives.
Of all four light meters, the one that really stands out is the Professional Digital Light Meter LX821 for Greenhouse, Hydroponics, Gardening, Architecture, Lighting Audits. Why? It is very reasonably priced, can be used for reading light outputs from various sources and provides very accurate readings.
In fact, of all the products reviewed here, the LX821 seems to have the most positive reviews. This could be because of the exceptionally great value for money that it offers to its users. But, regardless of why it has so many positive reviews, it really is a very useful tool for any indoor gardener.